Grandma Ruby's Crazy Crust



Summer is here, and fruits are in season! I tried my hand in gardening last summer (in my humble 4'x6' plot of dirt that my husband prepared for me), and it was a bit unsuccessful... But I chalked it up to the fact that the drout we went through strangled my thirsty plants, and this summer I'm determined to keep them well watered (and hoping to have a more successful crop).

So far, so good! My strawberries are booming. The peas have pods. There are the cutest little green tomatoes forming. But the one thing that I'm the most excited for, is my blueberry bush. I can't wait for all these green berries to turn into plump, blue morsals.



I have specific plans for the berries you see in this picture. I grew up spending a lot of time with my mom's grandmother. Grandma Ruby was a good ol' gal, born and raised in the southern state of Arkansas. My most vivid memories of spending time at their house revolve around food. Tasty, rich, Southern food. Peach cobbler was one of my favorite things that Grandma made. While baking in the oven, it smells like pure summer Heaven. I'm sharing this recipe with you in hopes that you, too, can enjoy a little "summer heaven" in your own home.


Grandma Ruby's "Crazy Crust" Cobbler
1/2 cup butter (REAL butter)
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
3 1/2 cups fresh fruit, any kind (OR 28 oz. can pie filling)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in 11 x 13" baking dish, and place in the oven to melt. In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Stir in milk (a little at a time). Once butter is melted, pour batter into center of the dish, on top of the butter. Add your fruit on top of the batter. Bake 35-45 minutes, or until it is puffy and browned on the edges.


Enjoy!

0 Responses to "Grandma Ruby's Crazy Crust" (Leave A Comment)